Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Mega Man 2 (1989)

Mega Man 2
Hey guys! Long time no see haha. I am still alive (though Chem did basically kill me). I haven't done this in awhile so I apologize if I'm a little rusty. I figured that if I'm going to get back into this, I'll have to start back up with something major. After asking around, the general consensus has been Mega Man 2. I have to say, this game really surprised me. Lately I've been playing a lot of Wii games (Super Smash Bros Brawl - Luigi all the way!) and it's been around 2 months since last playing a game older than me, so I knew I was going to be a little bit rusty. When given the option between Normal and Difficult, I instantly chose normal for the sake of my sanity and found myself enjoy it with minimal screaming and hair-pulling.


Quickman's level was the death
of me many a time


Game Commentary: I was immediately surprised when the story was told to me in the opening scene. I'm not sure if this is one of the first games to do so, but it was nice not having to search for a manual to understand what I was shooting at. Basically, Dr. Wily is at it again and created eight robots to try and defeat you. Mega Man's job is to clear the eight levels, each having characteristics similar to the cyborg boss at the end. Mega Man then gains a power of the robot he defeats. They were really fun to mess around with, and I liked how some powers were weaknesses to other bosses. You also get upgrades from Dr. Light, but I actually didn't understand what they did until one of my roommates (who has played Mega Man before) let me know they were moving platforms.

The platforming in this game was very well done. It wasn't anything too hard and when the shooting and powers were mixed in, I found myself having a blast. I noticed pretty quickly that there is no real consequence for dying. For some reason, I chose Quickman's stage first and thought the rest of the game would be that difficult. As I was accumulating the powers, I actually felt that Mega Man was growing stronger. By the time I finished the last stage, it seemed like it was almost too easy.

I have to admit though that I could not actually finish the game. I got to the path to Dr. Wily, but there was one screen where the platforming part just destroyed me. I literally sat there trying to beat it for over an hour and could not pass it. I opted to start typing rather than break anything in frustration.

What I Loved: I really, really enjoyed this game. It was a very nice combination of platforming and run-and-gunning. Each of the levels and boss fights were really unique, which kept it interesting and fought off the repetitive feeling. I also personally love the feeling of starting off relatively weak and feeling my character get stronger as the game progresses.


What I Hated:
I hated those egg dropping birds. I just want to climb huge ladder and I get assaulted by hundreds of little birds. Oh yeah, and Quickman's stage. That was ridiculous. I also didn't like how I couldn't complete the game. I know that isn't the games fault, but you can count on me revisiting this game to finish it eventually.


My General Impression: This game was very entertaining. The gameplay was really fun, the platforming was nice, the action was nice, the boss battles were nice... But that is just it. To me, this game was really fun, but it wasn't spectacular. Don't take that as me disliking it at all. Overall, I really liked Mega Man 2. It isn't the absolute best game I had played so far, but it is definitely up there.

22 comments:

Bryan White said...

Yes, Mega Man 2 was definitely high on my list of favorite old NES games. I always started with Wood Man. That level was easy, and that buzz saw was awesome, shooting in ever direction and tearing everything up...definitely my most used weapon. As for the final level, I bet you're talking about that dark part where the mechanical dragon chases you. Yeah, that was pretty hard. Stick with it though. You're so close to the end!

Good review.

Lucas Sena said...

Nice review, buddy XD. Mega-Man 2 it's one of my favorite games for the NES and of all time too. And yeah, those egg dropping birds sucks. God knows how many times I've died trying to cross the path with those bastards in my way.

Korsgaard said...

Glad to see you are back! Nice review and best of luck finishing this game!
http://korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com/

LBD 'Nytetrayn' said...

I'm curious what part near the end had you put the controller down. If it was the dragon, as suggested above, you actually still have about four stages left to go.

david hollowell said...

The real beauty of Mega Man 2 is its infinite replayability.

I'm also curious what the hard part was. I'm guessing underwater spikes.

When you come back to this game, remember that the fourth Wily stage boss is actually a puzzle that you're supposed to use the Items to solve. The game doesn't communicate this very well so people tend to get frustrated with that boss.

mercatfat said...

you're so close to the end that you have little excuse not to follow through. you need to beat the game.

starting with Quick Man, though? srs hardcore.

-k

Willow said...

Glad to see you're back, missed the reviews! And I remember MM2 when I was a kid.....

Kev D. said...

Mega Man 2 has always been my favorite in teh series. It's harder than 3, but not as difficult as 1, and the music KICKS ASS.

Nice review.

Anonymous said...

I've only played these games briefly, seeing as I never grew up with an N64, growing up rather on Sony's teat instead. (Hence why I post about PS3 games mostly)

:)

mercatfat said...

no platforming section in 2 is difficult with proper item use. i know you can do it.

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention that Mega Man 2 has easily one of the top 5 most broken weapons in video game history - the Metal Blade.

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend playing Megaman-X, really awesome game. I tried playing MM2 but couldn't get into it, maybe I should try it again.

Anonymous said...

Which section did you give up at? The one in the screenshot, or? Oh, and welcome back! :)

Min said...

For what it's worth, Quick Man's stage is, in my opinion, one of the hardest stages in an MM game. If you can handle that one, you should be able to handle the rest of the games. ;-) I recommend Mega Man 3, or Mega Man X if you want something newer...

As far as NES games go, you might give Crystalis a try. It's an adventure game (similar to Zelda or the overhead sections of Blaster Master) but with some RPG elements, and in my opinion it better than either of them -- one of the best games on the NES, really. It never got any sequels, so it's not quite as widely known as a lot of these other games.

Unknown said...

I second Minneyar's suggestion. Crystalis is a great game.

zuschzero said...

Dude, if you liked 2 you should play Megaman 4;
there's some things in MM4 what resembles to 2, but they're improved.

Lucas said...

Doing a great job! Keep it up!

the Biz

Unknown said...

Yea, that was the first Megaman game I got back in 1992 and I didn't beat it till like 1995, but only two stages really gave me fits: Quickman's stage and the 3rd Wily stage with the water. I always seemed to have several issues there and to this day I have never beaten Quickman's stage without the Time Stopper.

ohara088 said...

I have seen this game.
In Japan, it is called "Lockman."

Wszystka alkoholowa Poznań - Esperal Poznań said...

Wow, this was oldschool game, like world of darkness mmorpg!

Wszystka alkoholowa Poznań - Esperal Poznań said...

xbox live gold prijs, this game shoul be in xblox live... i love old school

Unknown said...

This game made me recall my childhood, thank you for sharing
You can Download pc games torrent

Post a Comment